Moving to a new city or town is all about the joys of new beginnings. A new abode to get comfortable in, a new neighborhood to explore and new friends to make. Along with the thrill of discovery at every step, however, there may be frustrations and dangers lurking, too. Unfamiliar surroundings, after all, can sometimes spring unsavory surprises. Ticking these check-boxes can guard you against them, turn the experience smooth and pleasant, and help you to make the most of your ‘new universe’.
- Intimating your social circles, work connections and vital service providers (like telecom, internet, professional suppliers and businesses partners) about your move – and making sure they have your new address and contact numbers – is the first thing you should you do after checking-in to your new address. In fact, this is something you ought ideally to have taken care of even before shifting.
- Furnishing your new home is the next step to carry out after relocating to a new city. It may sound obvious, but it’s easy to fall into the trap of procrastination, and push it away for ‘the next weekend’. Not a wise thing to do. The faster you can get this ‘chore’ out of the way, the sooner you can start enjoying all the interesting new activities you had planned in your new house, and around your new neighborhood. Sorting out your belongings and keeping each stuff in its correct spot can also turn every activities hiccup-free.
- Get a feel of your new geography. This means getting a local map, checking out public sign-boards and exploring google maps – and making sense out the basic layout of your neighborhood. Roads and lanes (including short-cuts), local markets and shops, utilities like post office, clinics & hospitals, eateries, ‘take-away’s & restaurants, movie-plexes and entertainment squares, community clubs and zones for sports and recreation where you can pursue your favorite hobbies and activities (which, in turn, will make the transition to the ‘alien surrounding’ smoother) are all things to acclimatize yourself with quickly. If you have kids, find out all about schools, parks, and kid-friendly zones and activities nearby. As you do all this, remember to find out the network of public transport that runs through your new city as well.
- Knowing your locational co-ordinates and eco-system better will help you run errands easily, plan out your daily activities more efficiently, and even assist you in guiding friends and visitors with road instructions when they come visiting your new home.
- Collect the telephone numbers and email ID’s of local plumbers, carpenters, electricians, masons, key-wallahs, kabaddi-walls, press-was & laundromats, home-delivery joints, domestic help & security guard services, and other emergency helps in your neighborhood. Store it all in a notebook, and keep it handy.
- Perhaps the most important thing you should do after moving to a new city is introducing yourself to people. This doesn’t just mean your neighbors – for whom you must make an especially sincere effort to familiarize with, and maybe even invite them over for a small party sometime that’s mutually convenient – but also with people in the community like local business owners, local leaders and the like. From sharing ‘insider survival tips’ to acting as an informal ‘tourist guide’ to helping you out during emergencies, ‘local folks’ can be an invaluable source of support and comfort. They will naturally be curious about the new addition to their ‘family’ – that’s you, in this case. Taking the initiative of reaching out to them and introduce yourself – without having them to take the first step – is the more civil thing to do, and will endear you to them.
As you get more comfortable with your new contacts keep the sense of healthy curiosity going, and don’t miss any opportunity of meeting the extended friend’s circle of your new neighbors and friends too. Try and get invited to parties, and throw a few yourself. As you become a more familiar face in your new community, who knows, you may get really lucky – and even end up striking lifelong friendships!
Moving to a new city or town can be one of the biggest decisions in your life. Plan and organize your activities correctly from day one, and it can also be one of your happiest.
You may be interested
Tips for Shifting in BengaluruPreeti - Aug 21, 2019
India’s Garden City and Silicon Valley, Bengaluru is one of India’s most desirable cities. From careers to ‘nature’s AC’, from…
Moving Guide from ShiftKarado – leading packers and movers in HyderabadPreeti - Aug 19, 2019
Headed to the city of Charminar? Here’s an honest Moving Guide from ShiftKarado – leading packers and movers in Hyderabad.…
ShiftKarado’s cool new Packers and Movers App is transforming relocation.Preeti - Aug 13, 2019
Did you catch the new campaign & mantra: "You App It, We Zapp It" with ShiftKarado - Packers and Movers…